Monday, July 10, 2017

A Wonderful Surprise

This year has been an incredible whirlwind! It might be the craziest year in my career - no easy feat, let me tell you! Between getting a small article in School Library Journal, 7 weeks of jury duty, a new baby on his way to our family (first grandchild), Mock Trial/FBLA challenges, and all the rest filling up my life it is hands-down the weirdest year yet.
Then this happened... I guess I should start with the beginning. Four years ago, I saw a Little Free Library; I was smitten. I simply had to have one. I looked around at plans, nagged my hubby, then had the bright idea to have the kids in our BITA (Building Industry Technology Academy) program build one for me. 
My Little Free Library has been such a bright spot in my life. Neighbors from near and far come by and have told me how much they love it! It has created a wonderful connection where there was once none. I have had letters dropped by, bookmarks, and books (of course). 
One day, we came home to some young kids and they had a red wagon; they had taken it upon themselves to tidy it up and suggest that I add another shelf. The youngest, a 5-year-old suggested that I build another one for little kid's books. 
There was an article in the newspaper which really drove up the numbers of people stopping by to check it out, everyone taking and leaving a book or two. It has been a wonderful experience. 
Most recently, I had to wipe out the collection and begin afresh. With all the rain this year in Southern California the library had sprung a leak and books had mildewed. So, we are rebuilding the collection but will have it ship-shape in no time. 
This week, our Little Free Library won an award! The Orange County Reading Association selected my LFL to win the Celebrate Literacy Award. Isn't that nice? It was such a nice way to end the school year.



No comments:

Post a Comment