Sunday, July 21, 2019

Keys to Success: the Freshmen Teacher Edition

Long, long ago in a classroom in Southern California, I began the next segment of my career as an educator. At present, I've been at VHS for 24 years. At that point, my new assignment was to teach freshmen Language Arts and I was thrilled; I love freshmen-- they are hilarious, generally energetic, and so much fun.
That first group of kids was everything I hoped to have in my class, and then some. Entering my classroom the first day was exciting-- I was ready to make connections, create a safe space for them, and teach them some of life's amazing lessons through literature. The kids were nervous as the first day of high school is for most students and I began my first day as I had the previous 5 years-- teaching kids about the Keys to Success using stories from life to help drive home the point that successful people have these qualities: Respect, Perseverance, Integrity, Honesty, Determination, Commitment, Positivity, Plan/Organization, Stick-to-itiveness Mindset, and Failure=Feedback.
Back to the present day, that amazing bunch of kids are now full-grown adults building beautiful, fulfilling lives.
Last night, I had the pleasure of meeting up with them at their 20th Reunion. It was so much fun-- lots of laughs, fun stories swapped, and a few tears.
More than a few told me that they had appreciated my efforts to help them, the lessons I taught, but most of all it meant so much that I cared for them. It was such a nice night. I'm so proud of all of you and thankful for your stories and good memories.
Thanks for the invitation! xoxo Ms. Steele




No comments:

Post a Comment